Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wherein I am gilded

Buffalo Bill and I have both come up with this theory without any input from the other, and then compared notes later and were amazed at how similar our ideas are.  I was inspired to share the story because of yesterday's story about Mother's Day brunch.  Prima Donna couldn't care less about actually conversing with any of the family while at brunch, she just wants to make sure everyone else in Podunkville sees her and the fact that she raised a child who will take her out to brunch.  My parents have also cultivated this attitude regarding the net worth of children.

Designated Drinker and Bran Flake do not view Buffalo and me as individuals.  We aren't supposed to have our own beliefs and ideas and likes and dislikes.  Well, I guess it wouldn't matter if we did, as long as they were compatible with what Drinker and Flake wants us to have.  I will admit that growing up I was probably the "favorite" because I was the school-smart one, I was the musician, and I took orders pretty well.  Buffalo, on the other hand, does have the benefit of being a boy and therefore is the prodigal son.  The family farms, and they have to be nice to him so he'll stay on the farm too.  I wasn't even given that option, I had to pack up and move away and become an off-the-farm success.

The folks view us as trophies.  They didn't have children, they had prizes.  They didn't give us names to identify us as individual human beings, they just named their mantle-pieces. 
They just like to spit-shine us and show us off to their friends.  Heaven forbid we do anything to tarnish the gold.

Tomorrow, the story of what we do with such pressure.  It's anything but inspirational.

P.S. The question was posed as to the significance of "#1 Kid and #1 Son".  I gotta confess that the biggest reason is... well... do you have any idea how hard it is to write "Daughter" on a trophy in MS Paint?  But it also has a little to do with that me-being-the-favorite and him-being-the-prodigal-son thing I mentioned above.  Mostly I'm lazy though.

No comments:

Post a Comment